On his "THV 11 News This Morning" appearance on Tuesday, Bob Birch of Home BancShares Inc. of Conway said the Home BancShares $280 million deal to buy Liberty Bank of Arkansas Inc. of Jonesboro was the "fourth-largest interstate" bank deal Arkansas has seen.
So what are the three biggest?
They're each instances of Arkansas banking companies being acquired by out-of-state holding companies:
- Regions Financial's purchase of First Commercial Corp. in 1998, $2.7 billion.
- Boatman's Bancshares Inc.'s purchase of Worthen Bank Corp. in 1995, $597 million.
- BancorpSouth's purchase of publicly traded First United Bancshares Inc. of El Dorado in 2000, $455.7 million.
Meanwhile, the Home BancShares Liberty deal is the biggest (most expensive) in-state bank deal in Arkansas history, ahead of Arvest Bank's purchase of publicly traded Superior Financial Corp. in 2003.
- TV News People: Don't Mess with Drew Carey on Twitter
- FedEx Schedules Groundbreaking for Southwest Little Rock Site
- Inauguration Day in Arkansas
- How A Trans-Atlantic Investment Scam Ensnared Credit Union President Joyce Judy 19 hours ago
- Arkansas' Biggest Deals of 2014 Soar While Value Slips 19 hours ago
- Windstream Names Lewis Langston CIO, Adds Other Senior Leaders 10 hours ago
- In Arkansas, Rules Restrict e-Services By Physicians 19 hours ago
- Landowners Seek Ruling On Oil Firm's Eminent Domain Powers 3 days ago