On his "THV 11 News This Morning" appearance on Tuesday, Bob Birch of Home BancShares Inc. of Conway said the Home BancShares $280 million deal to buy Liberty Bank of Arkansas Inc. of Jonesboro was the "fourth-largest interstate" bank deal Arkansas has seen.
So what are the three biggest?
They're each instances of Arkansas banking companies being acquired by out-of-state holding companies:
- Regions Financial's purchase of First Commercial Corp. in 1998, $2.7 billion.
- Boatman's Bancshares Inc.'s purchase of Worthen Bank Corp. in 1995, $597 million.
- BancorpSouth's purchase of publicly traded First United Bancshares Inc. of El Dorado in 2000, $455.7 million.
Meanwhile, the Home BancShares Liberty deal is the biggest (most expensive) in-state bank deal in Arkansas history, ahead of Arvest Bank's purchase of publicly traded Superior Financial Corp. in 2003.
- Southern Gourmasian to Open Restaurant in Downtown Little Rock
- Jerry Barakat Opening Japanese Restaurant in Hillcrest
- Waltons Check in at No. 1 on Forbes 'Richest American Families' List
- Wal-Mart Used Technology to Become Supply Chain Leader 2 years ago
- With Rollin' Smoke, Arkansas Natives Rock BBQ World in Las Vegas 2 days ago
- 5 Years Later, John Glasgow's Disappearance Still Unexplained 1 year ago
- Phoenix Village, State's First Mall, Hits Hard Times 8 years ago
- Red Beauty Lounge Debuts in Heights 2 days ago