Gannett Co., Allbritton Communications and several other broadcasters have won a battle in what appears to be a growing war against Internet television services.
According to AdWeek, the companies -- along with Fox, NBC Universal, Telemundo, ABC and CBS -- wrangled a preliminary injunction from the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia against FilmON X, a pay service that stream over-the-air television signals to Internet users:
The order bars FilmOn X from continuing to distribute local TV signals over the Internet without permission from broadcasters in Washington, D.C., and other markets.
"This Court concludes that the Copyright Act forbids FilmOn X from retransmitting plaintiffs' copyrighted programs over the Internet," wrote U.S. District Judge Rosemary Collyer.
The decision, issued Thursday, runs counter to a New York court's refusal to grant broadcasters an injunction against Aereo, a similar service, setting up the possibility that the cases will progress to the Supreme Court.
Neither FilmOn X nor Aereo, which is owned in part by media mogul Barry Diller, are available in Arkansas. But their business models ask complicated questions about signal ownership, content rights -- heck, the very fundamental business model of broadcast television.
Gannett, of course, owns KTHV-TV, Channel 11, in Little Rock. Allbritton owns KATV-TV, Channel 7, in Little Rock, but is in the process of selling all its stations to Sinclair Broadcast Group.
- Performance, Not Academics, Drive Incentives for SEC Football Coaches
- Crye-Leike Adopts New Safety Rules After Beverly Carter Death
- Wal-Mart Cheered, Jeered for Solar Power Efforts
- #ARPX: It's the Final Countdown (Robert Coon & Blake Rutherford On Politics) 21 hours ago
- Crye-Leike Adopts New Safety Rules After Beverly Carter Death 3 hours ago
- Whataburger Chain To Break Ground on First of Five Possible Locations in NWA 4 days ago
- Arkansas Children's Hospital Seven-Year Campaign Raises $167M 20 hours ago
- Mack, Donna McLarty Launch Global Fellows Program 1 day ago