The exclusive golf club in west Little Rock is owned by Warren Stephens, CEO of Stephens Inc.
The 111th Western Amateur championship, held this summer at Warren Stephens' Alotian Club golf course in Roland, raised $150,000 for the Evans Scholars Foundation, club and tournament officials said Wednesday.
The tournament marked the first time the Western Amateur had been played in Arkansas, and it was the first up-close look many people got at Stephens' ultra-exclusive golfer's paradise. The event, which took place from July 28-Aug. 4, featured 156 of the world's top amateur golfers and was won by Jordan Niebrugge of Mequon, Wis.
The tournament also raised money for the Evans Scholars Foundation, which was established by amateur golfer Charles "Chick" Evans and grants full academic and housing scholarships to caddies of modest means.
The Alotian Club has three current Evans Scholars: Brothers Joe, Kevin and Timothy Evans, who all caddied at Alotian in 2004. Joe and Kevin both attend Northwestern University and Timothy attends Marquette University.
Another Evans brother is the latest to receive an Evans Scholarship. Peter Evans, a senior at Central Arkansas Christian High School who caddied in the 2013 Western Amateur, received an Evans Scholarship to the University of Colorado, Boulder.
The Western Amateur Championship is put on by the Western Golf Association. The event showcases the country's top amateur golfers. Past winners include Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Ben Crenshaw.
- Dillard's Investor Advises Company to Pursue REIT Spinoff
- Video: ARK Challenge Concludes Fourth Run in Little Rock
- The Hop Diner is Closing; At the Corner Opening in Its Place
- Wal-Mart Used Technology to Become Supply Chain Leader 2 years ago
- Entergy Breaks Ground on New $23M Center in Little Rock 2 weeks ago
- Apartment Building Sells for $7.4 Million 7 years ago
- Brandon Barber Faces Bond Revocation, Jail For Violating Pretrial Release Terms 1 year ago
- Tyson CEO Donnie Smith: Hillshire Opens Door to More Growth 4 days ago