starting in 2014, razorbacks to play one game per year in little rock with contract extended through 2018. stadium commission agrees today— Harry King (@harrykingsports) November 26, 2013
Sportswriter Harry King, above on Twitter, reporting what everyone else is now tweeting: that War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock will get one Razorbacks football game per year through 2018. A news conference on the matter is scheduled for 12:30 p.m. at War Memorial Stadium.
King notes that the deal means that instead of Little Rock getting six games over the next three years, it will get five games during next five years. He calls it a "good compromise."
The news comes nearly three months after University of Arkansas Athletic Director Jeff Long said during an appearance in Little Rock that no new negotiations were planned between the university and War Memorial Stadium regarding the number of "home games" the UA would play there.
New UA football coach Bret Bielema shed some new perspective on the Little Rock games this year, noting that, while the Little Rock games are technically "home games," coaches and players "have to treat it as a road game."
"We're in a unique situation," Long said in September. "...I never thought about it in this way, but when you bus to that game, it is your longest road trip of the year and it's a home game."
The Razorbacks have played at War Memorial Stadium since it opened in 1948.
Update: Here's AP's report on the details:
- Arkansas' football program will pay Little Rock's War Memorial Stadium $400,000 in each of the next three years.
- The Razorbacks will play one game per year in Little Rock through the 2018 season.
- Next year's game will be a Southeastern Conference game against Georgia.
- At least one game in the next four years must also be against an SEC opponent.
- In the final two years of the contract, Arkansas can use the stadium rent-free. It currently pays $75,000 per game to rent the stadium.
We're certain others will have many different views and lots to say because, well, Razorbacks. Let us know what you think in comments. You can also take our poll right here.
- Video: Turner Grain Paid Farmer for Wheat But Not Corn
- This Week in Tyson: EPA Investigates; Hillshire Deal Delayed Again
- Jerry Jones' Dallas Cowboys Top $3B in Value
- 5 Years Later, John Glasgow's Disappearance Still Unexplained 2 years ago
- John Glasgow to Dillard's: ‘Call Off the Dogs' 5 months ago
- $50M Revitalization Plan Aims To Turn El Dorado into Cultural Mecca 3 days ago
- Legal Action Over Welspun Fire Heats Up 7 months ago
- Johnny Allison Donates $5M to Arkansas State Athletics Department 2 days ago