The University of Arkansas announced Monday that Chuck Barrett will no longer be the voice of the Razorbacks baseball broadcast, and will also become an employee of IMG College while continuing his other duties with the Razorback Sports Network.
Barrett, who has served as the voice of the Razorbacks for football, men's basketball and baseball since 2010, began as the baseball play-by-play announcer in 1992, the same year Arkansas joined the Southeastern Conference.
"And while I have truly enjoyed each and every of the past 23 seasons, I decided it was time for me to step away from the baseball broadcasts," Barrett said in a news release. "I sincerely appreciate the University of Arkansas and IMG working together to create a new role that will allow me to continue my affiliation with the Razorbacks as the play-by-play broadcaster for football and men's basketball."
IMG is the university's multi-media rights partner and a national sports marketing company. It represents several colleges and universities across the country, in addition to several sports conferences, including the SEC.
The Clarksville native has been involved in Razorback football broadcasts for 20 years, and has been the play-by-play broadcaster since 2007. He became the play-by-play broadcaster for men's basketball in 2010. He will continue in those roles, in addition to his roles as host of "The Bret Bielema Show," "Full Court Press with Mike Anderson" and other Razorback Sports Network programming.
Barrett has served as the athletics department's director of broadcasting since 2007. He's been named the Arkansas Sportscaster of the Year three times. In his time with Razorbacks baseball, Barrett called more than 1,250 games.
IMG College, in consultation with the university, will conduct a national search for Barrett's replacement.
- Video: Turner Grain Paid Farmer for Wheat But Not Corn
- This Week in Tyson: EPA Investigates; Hillshire Deal Delayed Again
- Jerry Jones' Dallas Cowboys Top $3B in Value
- 5 Years Later, John Glasgow's Disappearance Still Unexplained 2 years ago
- John Glasgow to Dillard's: ‘Call Off the Dogs' 5 months ago
- $50M Revitalization Plan Aims To Turn El Dorado into Cultural Mecca 3 days ago
- King Coal Investigation Heating Up; FBI Executes New Search Warrant 15 hours ago
- Wal-Mart Used Technology to Become Supply Chain Leader 2 years ago