What do the Koch family, Mars family, S.C. Johnson family and Rockefeller family all have in common? Well, besides all being multi-billion dollar empires, they all have less money than the Waltons of Wal-Mart Stores Inc. of Bentonville (NYSE:WMT).
Forbes recently ranked America's richest families, who combined for an aggregate wealth of $1.2 trillion, and the Walton family — made up of Christy Walton, Jim Walton, Alice Walton, S. Robson Walton, Ann Walton Kroenke and Nancy Walton Laurie — was the wealthiest with a combined net worth of $152 billion.
Here's what Forbes had to say about the wealthiest family in America.
"Unrest has beset the Walton's Wal-Mart empire. Workers at one of the world's biggest employers went on strike to protest low wages and have led a movement to unseat Rob Walton as chairman, but family's tight grip on the retailer — together they own 51 percent of the shares — gives them effective veto power. With $476 billion in revenue, Wal-Mart still reigns as the world's largest retailer, a far cry from the company started by Sam Walton and his brother James in a small Arkansas town in 1962."
The Waltons were followed by the Koch family, with a net worth of $89 billion, and the Mars family, with a net worth of $60 billion. The Walton family's reign as America's wealthiest is large enough that the net worths of its two closest competitors could be combined, $149 billion, and still fall short by $3 billion.
For more on the wealthiest families in America, check out the list from Forbes.
- Bentonville's Transformation Subject of Ad Age Spotlight
- The Interesting Battle over Alcohol in Arkansas
- Arkansans Have Endured 80k Political Ads Worth $33.1M
- Dennis Smiley's Wife Cynthia Files Chapter 7 Bankruptcy 1 day ago
- #ARPX: What to Watch on Election Day (Robert Coon & Blake Rutherford On Politics) 20 hours ago
- Brandon Barber Sentenced to 65 Months in Prison for Fraud, Money Laundering 2 days ago
- Simmons Foods to Close Northeast Oklahoma Poultry Plant 4 hours ago
- Sweet: ‘A Pure Arkansas-Flavored Investment' for Arkansas Teachers Retirement System 3 days ago