Posted 9/28/2012 04:25 pm
Updated 1 year ago
Shares of Acxiom Corp. of Little Rock and First Federal Bancshares of Arkansas of Harrison were the top performers among the state's publicly traded companies in the third quarter, according to stock prices at market close on Friday.
Shares of data services provider Acxiom (Nasdaq: ACXM) ended the third quarter at $18.27 on Friday, up 21 percent from its June 29 closing price of $15.11.
Year-to-date, shares of Acxiom are up almost 44 percent. The stock began the year at $12.72.
Acxiom is in its second year under new CEO Scott Howe, a former Microsoft executive who has pledged to refocus the data marketing company and hired an array of executives with backgrounds at companies including Google, Electric Arts and MTV.
Shares of First Federal Bancshares (Nasdaq: FFBH), the holding company for First Federal Bank of Harrison, saw a similar increase, ending the quarter at $9.77, up 21 percent from its June 29 closing price of $8.10.
Year-to-date, shares of First Federal are up more than 121 percent. The stock began the year $4.41.
The company, hit hard by loan losses in northwest Arkansas, was recapitalized last year and is now under the leadership of CEO Dabbs Cavin.
Penny stock Advanced Environmental Recycling Technologies Inc. of Springdale (Nasdaq: AERT) actually leads Arkansas publicly traded firms in percentage change for the quarter, up more than 73 percent. But shares of the composite decking materials manufacturer gained only gained 5 cents.
Of Arkansas' 17 publicly traded companies, four posted quarterly declines.
Shares of J.B. Hunt Transport Services Inc. of Lowell (Nasdaq: JBHT) were down 13 percent to $52.04; Tyson Foods Inc. of Springdale (NYSE: TSN) was down 15 percent to $16.02; USA Truck Inc. of Van Buren (Nsadaq: USAK) was down 24 percent to $3.64; and Arkansas Best Corp. of Fort Smith (Nasdaq: ABFS) was down 37 percent to $19.94.
Here is how Arkansas' publicly traded companies performed in the third quarter, ranked by quarterly gain as of Friday's closing price:
- Advanced Environmental Recycling Technologies Inc. of Springdale, up 71.4 percent to 12 cents.
- Acxiom Corp. of Little Rock, up 20.9 percent to $18.27.
- First Federal Bancshares of Arkansas Inc. of Harrison, up 20.6 percent to $9.77.
- America's Car-Mart Inc. of Bentonville, up 17.0 percent to $45.47.
- Bank of the Ozarks Inc. of Little Rock, up $14.6 percent to $34.47.
- Dillard's Inc. of Little Rock, up 13.6 percent to $73.32.
- Home BancShares Inc. of Conway, up 11.5 percent to $34.09.
- Deltic Timber Corp. of El Dorado, up 7.0 percent to $65.26.
- Murphy Oil Corp. of El Dorado, up 6.8 percent to $53.69.
- Wal-Mart Stores inc. of Bentonville, up 5.6 percent to $73.80.
- Simmons First National Corp. of Pine Bluff, up 4.8 percent to $24.36.
- Windstream Corp. of Little Rock, up 4.5 percent to $10.09.
- P.A.M. Transportation Services Inc. of Tonitown, up 3.3 percent to $9.97.
- J.B. Hunt Transport Services of Lowell, down 12.7 percent to $52.04.
- Tyson Foods Inc. of Springdale, down 14.9 percent to $16.02.
- USA Truck Inc. of Van Buren, down 23.8 percent to $3.64.
- Arkansas Best Corp. of Fort Smith, down 37 percent to $7.93.