Crain Media Switching Up Ownerships, Looking At More Stations

Crain Media of Sherwood filed recently for some radio station ownership changes with the Federal Communications Commission.

On Nov. 1, the FCC accepted for filing a license reassignment of Crain Media’s KKSP-FM, 93.3, (Fresh Talk) in Little Rock to a company called Capital City Broadcasting.

Further digging revealed that Crain Media is an owner of Capital City, but the license reassignment, if approved, would change KKSP’s ownership structure. A Fayetteville company, New Lion Media Group LLC, is listed in the FCC filings as a proposed new owner, with ownership of 43 percent of Capital City Broadcasting. Crain Media would own the other 57 percent.

What that ownership change means for KKSP isn’t clear, however. Crain Media owner Larry Crain Sr. and Steve Renfro, who was listed as the registered agent when New Lion was incorporated in August 2011, did not return calls seeking comment. KKSP General Manager Neal Gladner declined to comment.

Crain is also in the process of buying KHAN-FM, 105.7, (Hank 105.7) in Kensett (White County) from Malvern Entertainment Corp.

A Crain representative would only confirm that the two companies are close to closing on the deal. KHAN’s “under construction” website promotes the station as “pure country music,” which appears to be a format change from oldies. The website also states that KHAN’s studios are in Searcy.

Crain is also in the process of selling Little Rock station KOLL-FM, 106.3, (The River) to Vega Broadcasting of Springdale. That deal should close in January, according to Eddie Vega, president of Vega Broadcasting.