by Chris Bahn
Posted 1/3/2013 01:37 pm
Updated 2 years ago
The University of Arkansas has invested $2.8 million in assistant football coaches so far, with one hire left to be announced.
Salary figures for the four most recent Razorback football hires were announced on Thursday and the total assistant compensation pool will likely exceed $3 million when the staff is finalized.
Linebackers coach Randy Shannon will make $315,000 annually, strength and conditioning coach Ben Herbert will earn $300,000, wide receivers coach George McDonald is set to earn $275,000 and the salary for running backs coach Joel Thomas is $235,000.
Shannon's contract runs through June 30, 2014, so it is essentially a one-year deal. He has a $50,000 buyout clause if he chooses to leave, but it can be waived if Shannon takes a head coaching job/coordinators position at either an NFL or Division I college team.
Herbert's letter of agreement runs through June 30, 2016, while McDonald and Johnson have agreed to deals that run through June 30, 2014. Each contract includes a prorated $50,000 buyout if the assistant takes a job elsewhere.
Arkansas is — as with its other hires — providing a gym/golf club membership, courtesy car and sporting event tickets as part of the compensation.
New coach Bret Bielema has eight of nine assistant coaching positions filled. Bielema has yet to announce the team’s tight end coach. All assistant coaching salaries are an increase from last season with one exception. Taver Johnson, who served last year as linebackers coach and assistant head coach, is making $25,000 less than he did in 2012.
Arkansas' staff last season made about $2.6 million.
Below we look at salaries for the Arkansas staff so far:
- Jim Chaney, Offensive Coordinator, $550,000
- Chris Ash, Defensive Coordinator, $550,000
- Charlie Partridge, Defensive Line, $350,000
- Randy Shannon, Linebackers, $315,000
- George McDonald, Wide Rec., $275,000
- Sam Pittman, Offensive Line, $275,000
- Taver Johnson, Cornerbacks, $250,000
- Joel Thomas, Running Backs, $235,000
- Total: $2.8 million
- Ben Herbert, Strength/Conditioning, $300,000
- Mark Taurisani, Director of Football Ops, $150,000
- Chris Hauser, On Campus Recruiting, $80,000