by Mark Carter
Posted 2/4/2013 12:00 am
Boston Mountain Biotech founder/CSO and Innovate Arkansas client Ellen Brune provides her five tips for startup success:
- To quote Steve Blank, “Get out of the building.” You can’t learn anything about your customers by sitting in your lab (or office) and assuming you know what they want. You need to get out and meet them.
- Customers are everything. You can have an awesome technology, but if you don’t have anyone who wants to buy it, then you are out of luck.
- Learn to pivot. You have to know when to cut your losses and change directions.
- Be humble and recognize that you can learn something about improving your business from everyone you run into.
- Take time to rest and recharge your brain while having fun with your friends.
Brune on Innovate Arkansas:
“The guys at Innovate are awesome. They are always available to answer small questions and big ones. Having them to bounce ideas off of lets you be vulnerable with your brainstorming without making your customers or financial partners nervous.”