Posted 1/30/2014 08:50 am
Updated 9 months ago
People and projects in 10 Arkansas cities have been named recipients of Main Street Arkansas awards, the organization announced Thursday.
Main Street Arkansas is a program of the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program, an agency of the Department of Arkansas Heritage.
The Main Street Arkansas awards are presented biannually to recognize outstanding achievements by individuals, organizations and communities in helping to revitalize their downtown areas.
Award winners are:
- Ed Sergeant of Little Rock’s South Main (SoMa) Board of Directors received the Special Service Award for his efforts to create the SoMa Safe Street Plan to slow the traffic on South Main Street.
- Best Downtown Public Improvement Project – Main Street Russellville/City of Russellville Transportation Enhancement Project
- Best Creative Fundraising Event – Eureka Springs Downtown Network’s “Cocktails for a Cause” and Main Street Rogers’ Oktoberfest
- Best Total Building Renovation (5,000 Square Feet or More) – 28 Springs, Main Street Siloam Springs
- Best Total Building Renovation (5,000 Square Feet or Less) – Salon Bliss & Boutique, Main Street Searcy
- Best New Event – Eureka Springs Downtown Network’s “Party in the Park”
- Best Retail Event – Cash Mobs, Main Street El Dorado
- Best Upper Floor Development – J.L. Shinn Building, Main Street Russellville
- Best Web Presence/Use of Social Media – Main Street Siloam Springs
- Best Window Display – Siloam Flowers, Main Street Siloam Springs
- Best Special Event – Downtown Zombie Walk, Main Street Paragould
- Best Downtown Food and Entertainment Business – Skinny J’s, Main Street Paragould
- Best Downtown Retail Business –Lavish, Main Street Russellville
- Outstanding Main Street Merchant – Something Sweet/Tracy Mothershed, Main Street Paragould
- Main Street Hero – Ron Drake, Main Street Siloam Springs
- Outstanding Executive Director – Meredith Bergstrom, Main Street Siloam Springs
- Best Public-Private Partnership Effort – Main Street Ozark’s Riverview Plaza/downtown landscaping
- Volunteer of the Year Award – Roy Dalton, Main Street Dumas
- Spirit of Main Street Award – Main Street Siloam Springs.
Main Street Arkansas provides technical assistance and design services to help create economic development in the state’s downtown areas focused on design, economic restructuring, organization and promotion.
Cities currently participating in Main Street Arkansas are Batesville, Blytheville, Dumas, El Dorado, Eureka Springs, Hardy, Helena, Jonesboro, Little Rock’s South Main Street (SoMa), Osceola, Ozark, Paragould, Rogers, Russellville, Searcy, Siloam Springs, Texarkana and West Memphis.
Members of Main Street’s Arkansas Downtown Network are Pine Bluff, Heber Springs, Fort Smith, DeWitt, Morrilton, Rector, Monticello, Arkadelphia, Clarksville, Warren and Wynne. Other sponsors of the Main Street Arkansas program are the Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas and the Arkansas Economic Development Commission.