Posted 2/24/2014 12:00 am
The Little Rock region is full of surprises. Here are 11 of them.
- The University of Arkansas Clinton School of Public Service offers the world’s first and only Master’s Degree in Public Service and one of the finest speakers series in the world.
- Little Rock Air Force Base is the world’s premier C-130 Hercules training facility, training all Department of Defense and 38 allied nations’ aircrews and maintainers.
- Stephens Inc. is one of the largest privately-held, independent financial services firms in the world.
- The Arkansas Arts Center continues to grow one of the most unique collections of works on paper in the world, featuring original sheets by Cézanne, van Gogh, Pollock, O’Keeffe, Saar, Rembrandt, Rubens, Signac and Dove.
- The Big Dam Bridge connects approximately 24 miles of scenic riverside trails in the cities of Little Rock and North Little Rock with 4,226 linear feet across the Murray Lock and Dam on the Arkansas River.
- The University of Arkansas at Little Rock Donaghey College of Engineering & Information Technology offers the only Master’s in Information Quality in the nation and the discipline’s only Ph.D. in the world
- Little Rock Central High is not only a National Historic Site and Museum Visitors Center, but is consistently ranked as one of the top high schools in the nation.
- At 1,700 acres, Burns Parks is one of the largest municipal parks in the nation, more than doubling Manhattan’s Central Park.
- Little Rock’s Rose Law Firm is the oldest law firm west of the Mississippi River, tracing its origin to 1820, before Arkansas statehood.
- The private, Tom Fazio-designed Alotian Club, ranked by Golf Digest as the sixth most beautiful and 15th best course in the nation, played host to the prestigious Western Amateur in 2013.
- St. Vincent Health System, Little Rock’s first hospital and part of the Catholic Health Initiatives, features a number of points of access throughout central Arkansas, including the world-renowned Longevity Center and recently opened St. Vincent West.