Winthrop Rockefeller Foundation
The Winthrop Rockefeller Foundation is a Little Rock-based nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting economic development, education and economic, racial and social justice in Arkansas.
It was founded in 1974 to carry on the ideals and initiatives of former Arkansas Gov. Winthrop Rockefeller, who died in 1973.
The Winthrop Rockefeller Foundation provides capital for efforts that improve the quality of life for all Arkansans and promote positive change. All projects funded by it address one or more of the following areas:
• Economic development
• Economic, racial, and social justice
The foundation's goal is to reduce poverty, increase graduation rates, strengthen communities and build partnerships. It has four strategic goals:
• Reduce the number of Arkansas families living below 200 percent of the federal poverty line
• Increase high school, vocational and college graduation rates in the state
• Increase educational attainment and economic mobility in select Arkansas communities
• Show that strategic support and good grant-making practices can help select grantees achieve goals within the parameters of their missions
Rockefeller became the 37th governor of Arkansas in 1967 and served two terms. Before he became governor he was chair of the Arkansas Industrial Development Commission and was instrumental in bringing more than 600 new industrial plants to the state which provided 90,000 new jobs.
During his first term in office, Rockefeller adopted the state's first minimum wage and brought reform to Arkansas' prison system.
- Update: John Tyson, 4 Others Urge UA Board to Slow Down Stadium Expansion
- Video: Watch Wal-Mart's 2016 Shareholders' Meeting Right Here
- Alice Walton Drops Rocking W Ranch Price to $16.5M
- Walton Family Foundation Gives $250M to Charters in Little Rock, 16 Other Cities 22 hours ago
- Hogs Get Slaughtered (Gwen Moritz Editor's Note) 2 days ago
- At Latest Summit, Wal-Mart Seeks More American-Made Goods 23 hours ago
- After Boom in Shale, Arkansas Gas Industry Faces Halt in Drilling 2 days ago
- Dromborg Castle in Fayetteville for Sale — for $9.7M 2 days ago