Founded in 1949 in Siloam Springs, Simmons Foods is one of the state's largest private companies, employing more than 6,000 and reporting 2010 revenue of $1 billion.
Led by chairman Mark Simmons, the company experienced 12.8 percent growth in 2009 to reach the billion-dollar mark.
Simmons is a producer of frozen poultry, processed poultry and pet food. Simmons Foods has a network of roughly 300 growers in Arkansas, Missouri and Oklahoma, and employs roughly 3,900 workers at its 15 northwest Arkansas locations alone.
Simmons distinguishes itself in the market by working almost exclusively in the business-to-business realm. It claims that distinction makes it the only player without a company brand agenda. Simmons uses in-house brand strategists for each label with no brand priority.
In addition, Simmons is known for its commitment to conservation. Its Southwest City, Mo., plant is one of the most water-conserving facilities in the industry, and Simmons’ management participates in the Illinois River Watershed Partnership.
- Heartbleed? No Need for Heart Attack, We've Got Help, Advice
- CMS Database Shows Medicare Payments to Doctors, Others in 2012
- NY Post Reports Alice Walton Might Be Buyer of $70M Penthouse
- Packet House Deal Gets Murky; Restaurant For Sale 21 hours ago
- A Wet State of Mind (Gwen Moritz Editor's Note) 2 days ago
- Three More Banks Sue Dennis Smiley Over Loans 2 days ago
- Judge Rules Martha Shoffner Corruption Conviction Will Stand 15 hours ago
- Mike Ross Bests Asa Hutchinson in Governor's Race Fundraising 16 hours ago