Anthony Forest Products Co.
Anthony Forest Products Co. of El Dorado makes lumber, engineered wood products and value-added products such as its Glulam laminated beams used in the framing of buildings. It reported $95.4 million in revenue during its fiscal 2011, and preliminary estimates pegged fiscal 2012 revenue at $90.2 million.
As a supplier to the construction industry, Anthony Forest was hit hard by the housing bust. The company that employed 450 before the housing crash of 2006 now has, depending on seasons and shifts, 231 workers.
"Our sales are basically half of what they were," president and CEO Aubra Anthony told Arkansas Business in 2012. "So we haven't fallen as far as the market, which is the comfort you get of being a survivor."
But the company shows no sign of stagnation, having long been part of the community and state. Various Anthony family members have been in the timber and forest products industry in south Arkansas, eastern Texas and northern Louisiana for more than a century.
Today, Anthony Forest Products operates a mill in Urbana, about 15 miles southeast of El Dorado, producing Southern pine lumber; wood chip mills in Plain Dealing, La., and Troup, Texas; an engineered wood laminating plant in El Dorado, and a laminating plant in Washington, Ga. It also is in a joint venture in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, with Eacom Timber Corp. of Montreal to produce wood I-joists, branded as Power Joists.
Recently the company has been expanding and modernizing of its planar mill in Urbana.
"I think we've learned a lesson about investing in hard times," Anthony said. "You become more efficient. And when the market turns, if this one ever does, you will do better leveraging those efficiencies."
- John James Wants to Turn Old Post Office into Startup Hub
- Arkansas Business Wrote About Police Investigating Richard Johns in 2012
- PTI to Provide Projection Mapping on Old State House for LR Film Festival
- Familiar Face Leads Bank of the Ozarks In Carolinas 4 days ago
- King Coal CEO Stephen Parks Pleads Guilty to Wire Fraud 2 days ago
- Update: Legislature OKs Bill for $87M Lockheed Martin Incentive 14 hours ago
- Affordable Care Act Pushes Up Revenue for Arkansas Blue Cross Blue Shield 4 days ago
- Baptist Health, Verizon Foundation Launch Diabetes Study 3 days ago