Anthony Forest Products Co.
Anthony Forest Products Co. of El Dorado makes lumber, engineered wood products and value-added products such as its Glulam laminated beams used in the framing of buildings. It reported $95.4 million in revenue during its fiscal 2011, and preliminary estimates pegged fiscal 2012 revenue at $90.2 million.
As a supplier to the construction industry, Anthony Forest was hit hard by the housing bust. The company that employed 450 before the housing crash of 2006 now has, depending on seasons and shifts, 231 workers.
"Our sales are basically half of what they were," president and CEO Aubra Anthony told Arkansas Business in 2012. "So we haven't fallen as far as the market, which is the comfort you get of being a survivor."
But the company shows no sign of stagnation, having long been part of the community and state. Various Anthony family members have been in the timber and forest products industry in south Arkansas, eastern Texas and northern Louisiana for more than a century.
Today, Anthony Forest Products operates a mill in Urbana, about 15 miles southeast of El Dorado, producing Southern pine lumber; wood chip mills in Plain Dealing, La., and Troup, Texas; an engineered wood laminating plant in El Dorado, and a laminating plant in Washington, Ga. It also is in a joint venture in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, with Eacom Timber Corp. of Montreal to produce wood I-joists, branded as Power Joists.
Recently the company has been expanding and modernizing of its planar mill in Urbana.
"I think we've learned a lesson about investing in hard times," Anthony said. "You become more efficient. And when the market turns, if this one ever does, you will do better leveraging those efficiencies."
- THV 11 News: Vilonia Business Reopens After Tornado
- Clinton Family Remembers Oscar de la Renta
- Social Media Reactions to Final Gubernatorial Debate
- Whataburger Chain To Break Ground on First of Five Possible Locations in NWA 2 days ago
- Turner Grain Close to Filing $25M Bankruptcy 1 day ago
- Tom Cotton and Me (Gwen Moritz Editor's Note) 2 days ago
- Top College Officials See Sizable Pay Raises 2 days ago
- UA Confronts Old Infrastructure to Make Campus Wireless 2 days ago