Heifer International, based in Little Rock, is a global nonprofit with a goal of ending poverty and hunger in a sustainable fashion. Established in 1944, Heifer International gives gifts of livestock, seeds and trees and extensive training to those in need. It has helped more than 15.5 million families — 79 million people — in more than 125 countries.
The organization provides cattle, sheep, rabbits, honeybees, pigs, llamas, water buffalo, chicks, ducks, goats, geese and other regionally appropriate livestock as well as tree seedlings. As of 2011 these animals and plants have been distributed in more than 125 countries around the globe.
Heifer’s total revenue for fiscal 2011 was $127.6 million, a bump of nearly $5 million from 2010. Of the $127.6 million, 61 percent came from individuals’ contributions. The organization’s expenses for 2011 were $117.6 million.
Heifer works to ensure that the gift of each animal will eventually help an entire community become self-sustaining. Animals such as goats, water buffalo and camels are "seven M" animals, meaning they provide meat, milk, muscle, manure, money, materials and motivation. Once its immediate needs have been met, a family is free to sell any excess at market. Heifer requires participating families to "pass on the gift" by giving at least one of the female offspring to a neighbor who has undergone Heifer's training.
Heifer International provides sustainable development education resources including a hands-on learning center, Heifer Village, adjacent to its world headquarters.
Its River Market headquarters campus has garnered numerous architecture and design awards. Heifer hired Pierre Ferrari in late 2010 to replace retiring Jo Luck as CEO.
- Heartbleed? No Need for Heart Attack, We've Got Help, Advice
- CMS Database Shows Medicare Payments to Doctors, Others in 2012
- NY Post Reports Alice Walton Might Be Buyer of $70M Penthouse
- Wal-Mart Used Technology to Become Supply Chain Leader 2 years ago
- BKD Tops List of Largest Accounting Firms 8 years ago
- $150 Million Sale Brings an End To Wilson Empire 3 years ago
- CMS Database Shows Medicare Payments to Doctors, Others in 2012 2 weeks ago
- 5 Years Later, John Glasgow's Disappearance Still Unexplained 1 year ago