Found in Contempt of Court, John Rogers Arrested

Found in Contempt of Court, John Rogers Arrested
John Rogers' booking photo. (Pulaski County Sheriff's Office)

Update, Friday, July 24: John Rogers will be released from jail.

Original post:

Alleged serial fraudster John Rogers was arrested last night at the Fox & Hound sports tavern in North Little Rock.

The 42-year-old sports memorabilia dealer was found in contempt of court, and Pulaski County Circuit Judge Tim Fox ordered the arrest of Rogers on June 8 (PDF) after he failed to fully respond to discovery requests and file an affidavit of assets.

The court action stems from First Arkansas Bank & Trust of Jacksonville pursuing a January default judgment against Rogers that has grown to $15 million.

Rogers was taken to the Pulaski County Regional Detention Facility, where he will remain until he appears in court on Monday. As the order stands, Rogers can post bail of $1.46 million — 10 percent of the default judgment entered against him in January — after he appears before Fox.

On May 1, Rogers agreed to an order to provide asset information to the bank within 30 days or be found in contempt of court.

He unsuccessfully attempted to thwart an arrest by invoking his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination in a belated response to the agreed court order.

His criminal defense attorney Blake Hendrix and his civil attorney Brett Myers of Dallas filed a motion July 2 to dismiss the June 8 order.

Roger Rowe, attorney for First Arkansas Bank & Trust, filed a response on July 17 in support of upholding the agreed order.

Fox hasn't ruled on the motion to dismiss.

Rogers has drawn a series of fraud allegations by banks, business associates, clients and investors involving bogus transactions and counterfeit sports memorabilia. Not counting requested punitive damages by some angry creditors, financial claims against him and his business ventures total about $50 million.

In addition to these legal problems, Rogers is the subject of criminal investigation that erupted into the public when FBI raided his office and home on Jan. 28, 2014.

More On This Story