The Buzz Holds Open Job For Tommy Smith After DWI

The Buzz Holds Open Job For Tommy Smith After DWI
Tommy Smith, in this file photo from 2007, when he was honored at the Big Brothers Big Sister Toast & Roast.

Steve Jonsson, vice president and general manager of KABZ-FM, 103.7 "The Buzz," says radio host Tommy Smith has a job waiting for him once Smith finishes a 30- to 60-day treatment program.

Smith, who with David Bazzel co-hosts "The Show With No Name," was arrested May 26 and charged with driving while under the influence, possession of a controlled substance without a prescription, leaving the scene of an accident, drinking in public and refusing to submit to a chemical test.

The arrest came after Smith, driving a black Dodge Durango pickup, crossed the median at Colonel Glenn and Interstate 430, hit another vehicle and kept driving, a police report said. A witness followed him until a state trooper stopped Smith at I-630 and Pine Street in Little Rock.

The report said Smith admitted to drinking two pints of liquor and taking Xanax, which the officer found in Smith's possession.

Asked whether Smith faced disciplinary action, Jonsson told, "He's in a treatment program and we are hoping that he'll be back at some point and I really can't discuss our internal matters."

Jonsson said that Smith would be gone "for 30 to 60 days."

"Also, he has given so much to people over the years that we didn't feel it was appropriate to really do anything other than support him," Jonsson added. "While we don't condone anything that happened, we certainly do want to support him for what he's done for us and for the state of Arkansas."

Asked whether The Buzz, owned by Signal Media, was holding open Smith's job for him once he finishes the treatment program, Jonsson said: "Yes. We hope he will be able to get back on the air and be as great as he once was. That's our desire, to get him back healthy."

The 57-year-old Smith is a longtime local radio personality whose battles with substance abuse are well known. The arrest in May came after an on-air collapse in September that led to Smith's hospitalization and time in a treatment facility.