Engineering Specialist - Senior @ City of Little Rock
- Company: City of Little Rock
- Updated: 11/9/2018
- Location: Little Rock
- Status: Full-Time
- Salary: $36,288.00 - $55,884.00 DOE
- Job Level: 3-5 Years Experience
- Region: Central
- Category: Engineering
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: On-Line applications only.
Apply online at LRJobs.net.
*** PLEASE DO NOT apply on the Arkansas Business website***
*** This position closes 11/30/2018****
We only review applications submitted via LRJobs.net.
To design, operate, and maintain traffic systems.
Minimum Qualifications and Additional Requirements: These knowledge, skills, and abilities are usually, although not always, acquired through completion of two (2) years of college or vocational technical school course work in Civil Engineering, Engineering Technology, or a related area; four (4) years of experience in traffic or civil engineering design, or a related area; and one (1) year of supervisory experience. Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Essential Job Functions
1. Designs traffic signal installation plans for traffic and civil engineering projects and fiber optic networks for traffic signal systems; writes specifications, prepares bid documents, cost estimates, and requisitions for projects.
2. Inspects traffic signal facilities, projects involving right-of-way, pavement, and concrete structures at public and private construction sites to ensure compliance with approved plans and specifications.
3. Identifies potential construction problems and recommends appropriate corrective measures to the Traffic Engineer II; suspends construction work until problems are resolved.
4. Reviews traffic control plans submitted by private contractors and engineers to ensure compliance with standard practices required by the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD).
5. Receives and reviews applications for traffic control, street cut, right-of-way permits from contractors and utility companies to ensure compliance with applicable codes and ordinances; issues appropriate permits for plans in compliance with applicable policies and procedures.
6. Receives citizen complaints regarding street light issues; serves as liaison for City of Little Rock and Entergy to notify appropriate personnel of street light issues.
7. Reviews street lighting plans by private developers to ensure compliance with approved plans and specifications as required by boundary street improvements.
8. Reviews proposed plans and specifications of construction projects for feasibility and design changes to ensure compliance with City policies and procedures.
9. Serves as liaison between City of Little Rock and wireless providers to review new installation plans for small wireless facility and ensure compliance with applicable regulations and ordinances; issues franchise permits; maintains database of facility location for billing purposes.
10. Reviews citizen applications and issues permits for public assemblies, parades, special events and block parties.
11. Receives and reviews plans for traffic control permits and franchise permits to ensure compliance with applicable codes and ordinances; calculates fees, collects monies, issues receipts and issues appropriate permits for plans in compliance with applicable policies and procedures; informs applicants submitting non-compliance plans of the code requirements; maintains database of permits issued and monies received and deposited.
12. Assigns and reviews the work activities of assigned personnel.
13. Maintains hard copy and computer files and records of various permit applications, traffic control plans and related information.
14. Operates computer automated drafting equipment to prepare design drawings for traffic signals, channelization projects, and lighting projects.
15. Operates a City pool automobile in the performance of essential job functions.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Must possess a valid Arkansas Class D (Non-Commercial Vehicle) Driver's License before employment and maintain licensure for the duration of employment in this position.
Application Requirements: ON-LINE ONLY
1. Issues work order requests for construction maintenance and repairs.
2. Serves as liaison for community groups, city officials, and departmental staff to plan for traffic control during special events in the City of Little Rock.
3. Develops and maintains a work schedule for construction inspection projects; maintains files, plans, and records of traffic signal construction projects.
4. Directs the work of contractors and City work crews engaged in annual programs, such as loop detection replacement to ensure compliance with policies and procedures.
5. Answers questions and provides technical information to contractors regarding City policies and procedures regulating construction.
6. Maintains an inventory of traffic signals.
7. Inspects construction barricading to ensure compliance with applicable regulation.
8. Attends neighborhood meetings to answer questions and provide information regarding general traffic issues.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of Traffic/Civil Engineering.
• Knowledge of the uniform standards and installation of traffic control devices.
• Knowledge of engineering mathematics.
• Knowledge of City policies, procedures, and ordinances governing signal device installation.
• Knowledge of hard copy and computer filing and record-keeping systems.
• Knowledge of computer-aided design and drafting (CADD).
• Knowledge of computer fundamentals, including database, spreadsheet and drafting software.
• Skill in the operation of a computer, utilizing database, spreadsheet, and drafting software.
• Skill in the operation of drafting equipment.
• Skill in the operation of an automatic transmission vehicle.
• Ability to read and interpret regulations and ordinances related to franchise and traffic control permits.
• Ability to read and interpret construction plans and specifications.
• Ability to read and interpret blueprints and schematics.
• Ability to review construction plans, specifications and permit applications for feasibility and compliance with City policies, and ordinances.
• Ability to review traffic control plans for issuance of permits.
• Ability to conduct inspections and detect discrepancies in construction work.
• Ability to observe and report field conditions.
• Ability to calculate permit fees.
• Ability to maintain hard copy and computer files and records.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.