HMDA Underwriting Specialist
- Company: Centennial Bank
- Updated: 10/12/2021
- Location: Arkansas
- Status: Full-Time
- Job Level: 3-5 Years Experience
- Region: Central, Northwest, Northeast
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
The HMDA Underwriter will be responsible for RegB requirements related to Adverse Action notices as well as assisting in preparing HMDA files for reporting. The underwriter will have delegated decision-making authority on originated applications within HBI, investor, or agency guidelines or parameters. Additionally, the underwriter is responsible for the monitoring of and complying with regulatory compliance on all applications. The underwriter will help to improve customer service by underwriting all loans in a timely manner.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Review all denied Conventional, FHA, VA and Rural Development loans, be able to analyze borrowers' credit to determine if the borrower has the capacity and the willingness to repay the loan. This duty is performed daily, about 20% of the time.
2. Underwrite Conventional, FHA, VA and Rural Development loans, be able to analyze borrowers' credit to determine if the borrower has the capacity and the willingness to repay the loan. This duty is performed daily, about 5% of the time.
3. Thoroughly examine appraisals to ascertain that the subject property of the loan is adequate security for the loan. This duty is performed daily, about 5% of the time.
4. Confirm that all documents in the underwriting package are in compliance and that all facets of the loan meet application program guidelines for various investors and government programs. This duty is performed daily, about 5% of the time.
5. Provide a second review of another HBI underwriter's denial of a loan application. This duty is performed daily, about 10% of the time.
6. Communicate with loan officers/originators and processors as to current turn times for underwriting, as well as any needed items required for underwriting. This duty is performed daily, about 5% of the time.
7. Serve as a resource to loan officers/originators and processors in resolving problems with mortgage loan files. This duty is performed daily, about 5% of the time.
8. Demonstrates a Team Player personality that ultimately delivers good service to the customer while protecting the Bank with prudent underwriting decisions. This duty is performed daily, about 5% of the time.
9. Prepare adverse action notices as needed and provide copies in Compliance with RegB. This duty is performed daily, about 20% of the time.
10. Perform daily duties on all bank systems and Mortgage operating systems such as DU, DO, LP, Encompass, and Doc Magic if needed. This duty is performed daily, about 5% of the time.
11. Identify any needed training for loan officers/originators and processors. This duty is performed daily, about 5% of the time.
12. Identify Cross selling opportunities. This duty is performed daily, about 5% of the time.
13. Completes required BSA/AML training and other compliance training as assigned. This duty is performed annually.
14. Perform additional duties related to HMDA reporting requirements. This duty is performed daily, about 5% of the time.
15. Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty mentioned satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Broad knowledge of such fields as accounting, marketing, business administration, finance, etc. Equivalent to a four year college degree, plus 5 years related experience and/or training, and 3 years related management experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and policy/procedure manuals; Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Investor delegated authority, FHA Direct Endorsement
PREFERRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Investor Delegated Authority, FHA Direct Endorsement, Veterans Administration (LAPP) approval.
SOFTWARE SKILLS REQUIRED
Advanced: 10-Key, Alphanumeric Data Entry, Word Processing/Typing
Basic: Contact Management, Database, Presentation/PowerPoint, Spreadsheet
Periodically exposed to such elements as noise, intermittent standing, walking, occasionally pushing, carrying, or lifting; but none are present to the extent of being disagreeable.
The following work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
Highly repetitive, low physical. Highly repetitive type of work which requires concentration in the performance of tasks for consistent time cycles as prescribed by the tasks.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is continuously required to sit, talk or hear; frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms; and occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
1. In depth knowledge of FNMA, FHLMC, FHA, and secondary market standards regarding credit and property guidelines required
2. Knowledgeable in the underwriting of VA and Rural Development loans
3. Extensive knowledge of all laws and regulations pertaining to mortgage lending function
4. Bachelor's degree and 2-5 years of experience OR equivalent 6-10 years of experience in mortgage lending
5. Ability to read and understand financial statements, tax returns, property appraisals, and title work
6. Good communication skills, ability to multi-task, and good organization skills
7. Ability to communicate both orally and written in clear and concise manner
8. Ability to prioritize time and files so that closing deadlines can be met
9. Experience with Encompass Anywhere preferred
10. 1+ year experience using personal computers
11. Experience using Microsoft Office Products
12. Proficient telephone and customer service skills
13. Ability to sit for long periods
14. Be able to lift 20 lbs.
15. Ability to multi-task well