Transcriptionist- Detective Division @ City of Little Rock
- Company: City of Little Rock
- Updated: 3/14/2018
- Location: Little Rock
- Status: Full-Time
- Salary: $28,725.00 - $40,310.00 annually
- Job Level: 3-5 Years Experience
- Region: Central
- Category: Clerical/Administrative, Law Enforcement/Security
We only review applications submitted via our website. Please apply online at
To perform transcription of reports and defendant, victims and witness statements from notes or recorded statements; provides typed documents from information obtained by law enforcement personnel in the investigation of potential criminal cases for the Detective Division of the Little Rock Police Department.
Essential Job Functions
1. Types documents from case files which include taped statements from suspects, witnesses and victims, and a summary of events from rough draft or takes and transcribes dictation.
2. Transcribes dictation from a digital transcriber and utilizes a headset; types and proofreads information into final format, correcting grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors; erases tapes when transcription is complete.
3. Contacts the originator of the document to ensure proper information has been given if verification is needed.
4. Maintains daily log of typed material, number of documents, originator, and any additional information required by the supervisor.
5. Notifies immediate supervisor of problems with equipment, users, or dictated material; researches and applies word-processing and desktop publishing techniques for more efficient output.
6. Determines the format of work, ensuring compliance with any instructions provided by the person dictating the document; maintains confidentiality concerning work.
7. Operates a computer with word processing software, to transcribe and type documents and memoranda in the performance of essential job functions.
Minimum Qualifications and Additional Requirements
These knowledge, skills, and abilities are usually, although not always, acquired through the completion of high school, and two (2) years of clerical experience including one (1) year of transcription experience. Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENT: (The following additional requirements pertain only to the Transcriptionist (Special Investigations).
Must possess Arkansas Crime Information Center (ACIC)/National Crime Information Center (NCIC) certification within six (6) months of employment and maintain certification for the duration of employment in this position.
Must possess Notary Public certification within six (6) months of employment and maintain certification for the duration of employment in this position.
DISCLAIMER: This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise.
OPAC testing - transcription module
1. Performs other related duties as required.
2. Serves as backup to other clerical support personnel as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of English grammar, spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure.
Knowledge of business correspondence formats and terminology.
Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures.
Knowledge of proper filing and record keeping systems, both hard copy and computerized.
Knowledge of computer fundamentals and business software and word processing software.
Skill in the operation of electronic dictating equipment.
Skill in the operation of a personal computer.
Skill in the operation of a computer terminal.
Skill in the operation of a computer, utilizing word processing and spreadsheet software.
Ability to maintain hard copy and computer files and records.
Ability to perform basic mathematical computations.
Ability to read and record information.
Ability to compose standard letters and reports under general supervision.
Ability to take and transcribe dictation from notes and dictation equipment.
Ability to handle confidential material in a reliable manner.
Ability to maintain alphabetical, numerical, and sectional filing systems.
Ability to conduct file searches and prepare simple reports.
Ability to operate a multi-line phone.
Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.