Census Shows Racial Change in Central Arkansas


Like the rest of the United States, the ethnic mix in the Little Rock metropolitan statistical area saw substantial change between 2010 and 2020, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

“Nationally and locally, growth in population of two or more races was the biggest headline-grabber,” noted Metroplan, the area’s planning agency. “Population in this group doubled nationally and tripled in the Little Rock region. By 2020 about 35,000 persons in the Little Rock MSA, or 4.7 percent of population, described themselves to the Census Bureau as belonging to two or more races.”

Whites account for about 63% of the population of the Little Rock MSA, while that figure is 58% for the nation as a whole. In central Arkansas, Blacks comprise the largest minority, at 23%, while the figure is 12% for the U.S. Hispanics are 7% of the population in central Arkansas while totaling 19% for the nation.

The information comes from “Metro Trends: Demographic Review and Outlook,” released by Metroplan in December.